You Won’t Pay More Update:
Unfortunately our ordinary price checks cannot take place for the time being while restrictions are in place to protect against the spread of Covid 19. Therefore it is possible that price changes may not be in place within 7 days as per the normal terms and conditions. This is a temporary measure and the standard process will resume as soon as possible.
What is ‘You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You (our “Campaign”)?
The ‘You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You’ Campaign comprises products from the total Tesco product range (including branded and own brand label products) that Tesco consider matter most to our customers, based on volume and frequency of purchase in Tesco, and market information from independent sources. The Campaign is an amendment to 'The 800’ Campaign.
What has changed?
- We have learned over the past year what parts of ‘The 800’ Campaign people love most. We learned that an assurance that customers won’t pay more for products that matter most to them is the thing that resonates most. So, that assertion has been made the central message of the amended campaign.
- The list of Campaign products has been updated based on the most recent data available. That data told us what products customers bought most. Based on that, some product lines have changed and overall it now comprises a more focussed list of ‘Products that Matter Most to You’.
- The list of ‘You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You’ products will be updated on a regular basis, to ensure that the Campaign products remain current and even more relevant to our shoppers.
- The criteria used to choose the Campaign products has also been revised to ensure that the list reflects what Tesco has found to be ‘Products that Matter Most to You’ as a result of 'The 800' Campaign.
What has not changed?
- Our commitment to you is that you won’t pay more for these products in Tesco, as compared with identical branded products or competitors’ comparable own label products, where available.
- We will update our base prices on the ‘You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You’ products within 7 days of price changes appearing in competitor stores. Promotional prices in competitor stores are excluded.
- Products are identified in store by red bubbles and online by a flag on Tesco.ie. The full list will continue to be available below.
How have we selected the Campaign products?
We have selected the Campaign products based on a number of key criteria. These include, for example, how much and how often our customers purchase these products in our stores, as well as market information about consumers' purchasing behaviour more generally and in competing supermarkets, including information from independent sources such as Dunnhumby and Nielsen.
We have included key products across all product categories to ensure that the Campaign is representative of a full basket shop for our customers.
The list of 'You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You ' products may be updated from time to time, including the number of products included in the Campaign, to take account of factors such as seasonality, promotions, changes in product ranges and changes in customer behaviour. The competitor products against which the 'You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You' products are compared may also be updated from time to time due to changes in range identified in competitor stores. Where this occurs, we will update the relevant comparable product within 14 days of Tesco identifying a change
Family variants of ‘You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You' products (e.g. different flavours of ‘You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You' products) are also included in the Campaign. Family variants are also identified in-store and online, in the same way as described below.
How can you find the Campaign products?
The ‘You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You’ products, together with family variants (as described above) are identified in Tesco stores by shelf-edge labels and online at tesco.ie by use of the following tagline; "You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You ". A current list of the ‘You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You’ products is also provided below. This list includes family variants of Campaign products which are marked with the letter F.
The ‘You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You’ products are subject to availability online and in-store. The full range may not be available in all stores for a number of reasons including local differences in customer behaviour, because they are out of stock or due to store format. In particular, a more limited range of these products will be available in our smaller store formats; Tesco Metro and Express. Some products may not be available for sale online for regulatory reasons or because they are not available in the Tesco store connected to an online order.
How we compare prices of the ‘You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You’ products
We compare the price of the ‘You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You’ products against comparable products, where available, in Dunnes Stores, Supervalu, Aldi and Lidl. In some cases, a comparable product may not be available in a competitor store.
Branded products are compared against identical branded products sold in competitor stores, where available.
The prices of own label products are compared against the relevant products from the closest equivalent ranges in competitor stores, where available. For example, products from Tesco's Finest Range are generally compared against products from other competitors' premium own label ranges, provided that the products are comparable.
Where a competitor sells two own label products in different own label ranges which are equally comparable to the Tesco product included in the ‘You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You’ Campaign, Tesco will compare the 'You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You ' product against the cheaper of the two competitor products.
Where a comparable competitor product (either branded or own brand) differs in size/weight to a 'You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You’ product, a pro-rata calculation based on weight or unit number (as appropriate) will be used to compare prices.
From time to time, certain 'You Won't Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You' products may be sold at even lower promotional prices. During such times, Tesco will use the non-promotional price of the ‘You Won’t Pay More for Products that Matter Most to You’ products when comparing against comparable products in competitor stores.